Dixie Tri-Ball and Chokesl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:49 pm
Although this subject has been somewhat covered, there is some confusion.
So...let's start at the bare-bone facts as to Chokes and Dixie Tri-Ball. The diameter of the balls is .603". The present wad petals are .035" thick.......or the wad petals on each side of the balls is a total of .070". The total diameter of the balls and two wad petals in .673". Therefore it seems the ideal for the standard .730" American bores, the choke should be in the range of .675"/.685" to the standard Full choke. In the very beginning the wad petals were thinner and that called for a choke down to a choke as small as .660". Later tests showed the larger choke gave a better even pattern. As the wads were improved, the best choke changed.
The guns from Overseas run as small as .724" bores and need less choke constriction. The best for these guns seems to be what is their Full Choke.
I prefer a choke of .675" to .685" in the standard .730" bores on the Remington guns. What is more important is the design of the choke. Most factory chokes are nothing more that a funnel shape from the bore diameter to the muzzle. The best design choke for Tri-Ball has a taper section and then a parallel section. All the custom choke makers have a extended choke tube set up with that design.
However...It is wise to check the choke in your existing barrel...as you may well find it throws the patterns you would be satisfied with.
One last thing. If you find that your barrel/choke como throws two balls very close with one ball out by itself.....means too much choke!
Regards, James
Last edited by Dixie Slugs on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:51 am
In standard 12 guage shotgun barrels .700 is Full choke, in backbored barrels .710 is full choke. European such as Benelli and CZ have a full choke at .695 and .690.

I would like to see the optimum choke listed for each seperate brand of shotgun. Example a Remington standard 870 barrel might do best with a .660 turkey choke while a backbored Mossberg barrel might do better with a .690 diameter. In both cases tighter patterns will be achieved by relieving barrel stress with cryogenics, as well as creating by doing so a slick clean barrel.

It is interesting you get the same results with rifled slug barrels with spining lands and groves. The wad must be acting like a Sabot and adding spin to the three projectiles. While normal buckshot in such barrels goes all over the place.

I wonder which is best, a choke that is ported and delays the wad or a soild choke that allows the wad to fly with the pay load.

What ever the combination you seem to be getting good results but the reader needs to know more on how you did it. I see a photo of a tight pattern of Tri Ball in the target, at 40 yards but it doesn't tell the brand, diameter, and type of choke in relation the brand of shotgun. I therefore could be testing tribal all day with mixed results or I could go to a standard chart and have a good starting point. Nitro Company Amunition has such a chart for buckshot and turkey load and it makes for a good starting point, but it would not apply to Tribal.

In the recent cryo tests I knew from prior tests where to start. But the original turkey gun tests took 3 years of study, testing and observation noting every standard turkey load available to my area hunters.
John Simeone
Outdoor Writer
Foremost Hunting.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:35 pm
In other posts I've seen it alluded to, but can't recall if it's been explained in the past: Will triballs work from any rifled slug barrel, just Hastings, or none? Will they work with rifled tubes, or is it best to stick with premium choke tubes? Also, what about Hastings Wadlock, stright rifled barrels and chokes? Any feedback in that arena? Thanks.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:12 pm
The Dixie tri-ball 3" does work good in some full rifled barrels, but never seem to work in rifled choke tubes. The load hits the rifled tube too fast to grab the wad.
Although we designed the Dixie tri-Ball 3" and 3 1/2' for smoothbore, there has been some limited use in rifled barrels.
Regards, James

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:10 am
It is not hard to get great patterns from Dixie's Tri-Ball Buckshot. Just check out the attached photos.

I fired the pattern target at a measured 40 yards with Tri-Ball 3" Buckshot from a 12 gauge Remington 870 Express with a Briley .695" extended full choke tube using only the bead on the 26" vent rib barrel for sights.

The buck was taken last year by Lee Brown with a Stoeger 2000, 24" barrel and factory mod. choke. I'd say that modified tube fired a respectable 40 yard pattern!
Attachments
triball3briley69540yds0fm6.jpg
8pointtriball.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:10 am
Bottom line: From Modified to Extra-Full chokes, Dixie's Tri-Ball 12 gauge buckshot works.
Last edited by Ralph McLaney on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:46 am
Here is another 40 Yard Pattern Test.

This one was fired from a Browning Gold Stalker, 3" chamber, backbored with a extended Briley Full choke.
Attachments
Tri-Ball from Browning Gold at 40 yards.jpg
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:47 pm
I see friend Ralph M has come through again indeed! He is one of our best testers and what he says...you can bet on it indeed!.....James

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:51 pm
I used 3" Triball last year with my Patternmaster buckshot choke with pretty good patterns but this year I am primarily going to be using a newly purchased Mossberg 500 with the LPA trigger and a fully rifled slug barrel. I have not tested Triball in the rifled barrel yet and would like to know if anyone has any experience with Triball in the fully rifled Mossberg 500 barrel?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:53 pm
The "Elete" shootgun Geakspeak has made this entire thread unreadable.
Turkey choke?, Hastings?, Full? Fractions of inches chokes?
What about the reat of us? You know the guys who are NOT reloaders,or gunsmiths?

Next

Return to Welcome to the New Dixie Forum!